Login

russian armor

Why no other RTS

11 Jul 2024, 20:04 PM

Why isnt there a RTS with using more than boring Rock paper Scissors and health bar Mechincs

CoH uses Angles, Sourroundings, Elevation, Supply Lines, Soft Counters, Ranges, which all affect gameplay and make a cool mix.

Why is there no developer who sees potential for more interesting mechanics than rock paper scissors?
11 Jul 2024, 21:06 PM

I ask myself this same question all the time. I guess no one wants to steal the 5k player base away from Coh.

If I was any good at modeling I could have made a game by myself in a year that would be playable.

Seems like a no brainer for a real company to make.

But you have all these weirdos who cry that the patch on some unit is not 100% authentic. And who the hell wants to deal with them as your customer base??? So a real world game is not worth the money you would spend in research.

Was DOW2 even close to as big as COH2?

I have been tempted to mod Quake 3 and turn it into an RTS. Get away from the real world weirdos at least.
11 Jul 2024, 23:41 PM

Why isnt there a RTS with using more than boring Rock paper Scissors and health bar Mechincs

CoH uses Angles, Sourroundings, Elevation, Supply Lines, Soft Counters, Ranges, which all affect gameplay and make a cool mix.

Why is there no developer who sees potential for more interesting mechanics than rock paper scissors?

Because RTS is a niche-genre since 15 years already.
12 Jul 2024, 00:06 AM

I wonder this myself often, especially after I see people losing their shit over stuff like Stormgat. I look at that and see only an insanely ugly bit of digital trash.

It's really hard to make a proper RTS. I have far too much to do professionally but I've kept a design document buried in my files of a dream RTS that takes the best of Company of Heroes and Battle for Middle-Earth II. I might have enough time to try making something like that in a year or so.
12 Jul 2024, 12:15 PM

Because RTS is a niche-genre since 15 years already.

It is a niche genre because they rely on the same uninspired mechanics and don't see the obvious. and i asky myself why
12 Jul 2024, 13:49 PM

It is a niche genre because they rely on the same uninspired mechanics

It is definitely not that. They are niche because the average gamer does not want to invest 1000h into a game just to learn the basics.

And massively dumbed-down RTS does not work either as we all know from the past.
12 Jul 2024, 16:49 PM

Company of Heroes and Battle for Middle-Earth II

Man.. that reminds me of that LOTR-themed turn-based tactics game for the Gameboy Advance.

Sounds like fun! Would you be able to choose a "hero" character like in DoW?
12 Jul 2024, 19:27 PM

It is definitely not that. They are niche because the average gamer does not want to invest 1000h into a game just to learn the basics.

Why are MobAs the most popular genre then?
13 Jul 2024, 05:08 AM

Why are MobAs the most popular genre then?

Let me fix the quote for aerafield:

It is definitely not that. They are niche because the average gamer does not want to invest 1000h into a game just to learn the basics of a game that their friends never play

:guyokay:
13 Jul 2024, 15:53 PM

Man.. that reminds me of that LOTR-themed turn-based tactics game for the Gameboy Advance.

Sounds like fun! Would you be able to choose a "hero" character like in DoW?

My idea was that you'd create a hero and you'd be able to switch them between different classes/archetypes that would more-or-less simulate the features of doctrines/commanders. There would be light RPG stuff in between battles too, the idea was to have something like Age of Empires Online's Home City that you could also decorate and customize. I also wanted something like Shogun 2's Avatar Conquest for the multiplayer, where your random battles add progress towards capturing territories for your clan/faction/whatever in an overarching conflict. Could even do Helldivers 2-style events and stuff for that level.

Of course, all that is secondary to having a good RTS. But Starcraft proved that even a mechanically uninteresting game can still attract a vast audience based on the stuff surrounding the gameplay.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★