Login

russian armor

Theater of War / Mod: Warsaw Ghetto Uprising?

13 Nov 2014, 01:42 AM

At this point of DLC and expansions, the game has Sturmtigers and partisans, which would be the perfect units for creating a very distinctive mission pack based around this event. Also, we have mod tools now, so we can do pretty much anything we want.

For those who aren't familiar with it, the Warsaw ghetto uprising was a revolt by the inmates of the ghetto against the Nazis. It was countered ultimately by flattening the city and was one of the few occasions that Sturmtigers were actually used.

From what I understand the actual event was pretty one-sided, but it's not like the game hasn't taken some serious liberties already for the sake of game play.

One of the reasons I've been thinking of this is

1) It's an important event.
2) It could provide for some interesting game play. Perhaps the uprising is always fated to lose in the face of overwhelming fire power, but has some objectives that can be completed.

What do you all think? Good idea, or bad taste? I would argue that it's no worse taste than the things we saw the soviets do in the main campaign, but then again, two wrongs don't make a right. Anyway, the way I'm envisioning it, the player controlled faction would be the uprising, not the Nazis.

Also, if you'd like, what are your thoughts on depicting such events in a video game? Part of me would agree that games, in the current state of the medium, and probably including CoH, are generally not equipped to depict this subject matter in an appropriate and deft manner.

13 Nov 2014, 02:20 AM

Minus the Ghetto part: Could be cool. It could include:

Stealth missions.

Last stands.

Liberation of areas and peoples.

Capturing of German equipment.

And finally, the unavoidable defeat from lack of help.

13 Nov 2014, 05:13 AM

Just FYI, the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising and the Warsaw Uprising are not the same event. What you are both describing is the Warsaw Uprising.

Depicting the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising (early-mid 1943) would be in extremely poor taste imo, since it was arguably part of the Holocaust, in a way. The Jewish civilians rose up to resist being sent to camps, and were cut down, the survivors were of course, sent to camps.

The Warsaw Uprising (mid-late 1944) was the Polish Home Army's attempt to liberate Warsaw from the Nazis. They expected Russian reinforcements from the Red Army camped just outside the city, but the uprising failed because Stalin disliked the Polish Resistance.
13 Nov 2014, 05:46 AM

Just FYI, the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising and the Warsaw Uprising are not the same event. What you are both describing is the Warsaw Uprising.

Depicting the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising (early-mid 1943) would be in extremely poor taste imo, since it was arguably part of the Holocaust, in a way. The Jewish civilians rose up to resist being sent to camps, and were cut down, the survivors were of course, sent to camps.

The Warsaw Uprising (mid-late 1944) was the Polish Home Army's attempt to liberate Warsaw from the Nazis. They expected Russian reinforcements from the Red Army camped just outside the city, but the uprising failed because Stalin disliked the Polish Resistance.
To be honest. Both sound like a terrible thing to base a theater of war on.
13 Nov 2014, 06:27 AM

To be honest. Both sound like a terrible thing to base a theater of war on.

One is much worse than the other though.
13 Nov 2014, 06:46 AM
Patrion 14

i dont think TOW directed only at partisan play would be interesting.

and i hope there are more TOWs, i mean finish the eastern front at least (i know it is a hard work but it feels so incomplete).

maybe they will do battle of kursk and there can be partisan semi stealth missions gathering secret intels, laying traps, ambushing supplies etc etc.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United States 165
Germany 14
unknown 9
Peru 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %