Login

russian armor

Number of automatch games at certain times

11 Jan 2017, 20:40 PM
Senior Editor Badge

I was asked how many players max typically play in automatch. I thought I post here, maybe this is of general interest.

Ok, I have no clue how many people are in the queue at any given time, but I can check how many games are played. Note, though, that I probably miss a few games, because I can only retrieve matches where at least one of the players has a rank on the ladder. Comparisons to coh2charts that I did a while ago indicated that the difference (if existant) is insignificant.

Here are the number of games played in a given minute per mode over the last two weeks (time is UTC):

Edit:
Clarification: This shows how many games were running at a given time. Equal amount of games in a given minute doesn't mean that the number of games played in a day or so is the same! Many short games could give the same line as a few long ones.

And thus, the number of players:

The maximum for last week was 2014 players, Sunday 20:10 UTC.

The maximum number of games were 76 (1v1), 124 (2v2), 83 (3v3) and 122 (4v4), all at different points on Sunday.

Again this is only the number of games going on in the same minute, it excludes people waiting in the queue!
11 Jan 2017, 20:42 PM
Senior Referee Badge

Thx siphon <444>3

Interesting to see though, that 2v2 is played almost as much as 4v4.
11 Jan 2017, 20:58 PM
Admin Red  Badge

Thx siphon <444>3

Interesting to see though, that 2v2 is played almost as much as 4v4.

+1

Plus that 1v1 is approximately played as much as 3v3 in automatch.
11 Jan 2017, 21:06 PM
Senior Editor Badge

+1

Plus that 1v1 is approximately played as much as 3v3 in automatch.

Careful, though. This is the number of games going on at a given minute. Only because that number if similar, that doesn't mean that the number of games is the same.

Simple example:

Let's assume we have 1 4v4 game that goes on for 1 hour. In the same hour two other players might play three 20 minute 1v1s. The "curves" would be the same for both (as they would should "1 game" for each mode), but we would actually have 3 1v1 games and only one 4v4.
11 Jan 2017, 22:25 PM

so there are between 60 and 20 game in 1v1 at the same time.
-> between 120 and 40 people still playing coh 2 in 1v1.

explain why it takes so long to find a good game SOMETIMES.

ty for information siphon.
11 Jan 2017, 23:22 PM

Permanently Banned
How you do it ?
Looks interesting.
12 Jan 2017, 09:54 AM
Senior Editor Badge

How you do it ?
Looks interesting.

I have a script that runs twice a day.

In a first step it downloads the ladders for all modes.

Then it downloads the match history for each player that according to the ladder did a game since the last run. The "match history" is what is used to create the "Recent matches" tab on the official ranking webpage. However, the data that you get is more than what is displayed there (like, it also contains custom matches, map, start and end time of the match), although not enough to get all meta information (e.g. no commanders).

I do that since May of last year. Unfortunately, when I wrote the program I put in a upper limit of 2 million matches in (assuming that I never would reach that), which I reached mid November. I realized that only on the 4th of January, so I'm definitely missing some matches between those dates as the history contains only the last 10 matches. But the list of rankings should be complete.

So, I have this database which I can use to tackle request like this one...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★