Login

russian armor

Vehicle Build Order

10 Aug 2015, 20:35 PM

Given OKW's reduced fuel income choosing the right vehicle to build with your limited fuel is obviously very important so my general question is; How do you best decide what to build given various situations? (I mostly play 1's and 2's)

I haven't tried out OKW yet on the most recent patch and I'm curious as to how P4 vs. Panther decision should be made seeing as how they are pretty close in price. Is T2 -> P4 a good idea? Does your choice change if you open with Mechanized and opt for a Flak or Puma? (Flak doesn't seem that popular this patch compared to last but I can see the merits of a Puma given the current Stuart/M5 Rush meta).

Thanks in advance~
10 Aug 2015, 21:36 PM

I think the best way to think of OKW vehicles is: your first one arrives very quickly, your second on par with other factions' second, and anything after that comes late. Gods help you if you lose your early armour, since it'll take a long time to replace.

With that in mind, OKW light vehicles are really a situational choice, and you shouldn't be basing a build order around them, since everything they do can be accomplished by OKW MP-only units. Instead, use them to fill a gap in your (or your team's) build(s) or punish your opponent.

Soviet T1 infantry spam and M3 making aggressive pushes? Use the flak track to lock down some territory. MG34 and kubeljesus with infantry support can do this too.

Soviet T2 weapon spam? Stukka party. LeIG is actually affordable early on now though, so you do have alternate indirect fire options in the early game.

Expecting light vehicles? Might be worth a puma. Puppchen with infantry cover and a defensive S-mine can save you fuel if you think you can go without.

The main thing to bear in mind with a mechanised opening is you give up a lot of infantry presence by not having healing and forward reinforce (especially in team games, since battlegroup HQ saves Ost team mates building medic bunkers and halftracks) so whatever light vehicles you go with, they have to compensate for this in addition to delaying your tech.

As for P4 vs Panther, P4 in most cases. OKW P4 is a beast once it gets vetted, and if get it out early and support it, it'll be getting vet in no time. If you have battlegroup up, JP4 is a cheaper and arguably better AT choice than the panther, and works well with the P4. A fast Panther can be good for punishing medium armour (especially USF), but be aware you're giving up the amazing P4 and JP4 veterancy if you don't go for them first. Also, P4 and JP4 absolutely eat tanks with the HEAT rounds from elite armoured, if you feel comfortable giving up what other commanders have to offer.

TL;DR - P4 is love, P4 is life.

Edit - luchs + panther is a good combo, especially against USF, but is also nearly two P4s. Decisions.
15 Aug 2015, 02:34 AM

In this replay I went Luchs into Panther against USF player who went with Armor Company. I usually go to P4, but with the M10s I decided on the better long range AT from the Panther.
Luchs was just a beating on this guy due to him teching LT first. I would have been more hesitant to get a Luchs if he went Captain. In that case I probably would have skipped the Luchs and just rushed out a P4 or a JP4 with only 1 M10 on the field to reasonably counter it.
15 Aug 2015, 03:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestion :) I usually rush out a Luchs if I see the opposing player is light on AT, though that's less common nowadays since it seems like a lot of USF players are going Captain.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★