Login

russian armor

Bad abilities on a good gun, Le.IG support

22 Jul 2015, 20:10 PM

With the recent manpower changes the Le.IG gun is finally usable without completely draining your manpower for an subpar unit. It still has some problems though, and a lot of them are its abilities/vet bonuses combined with what its stats make it.

The support gun has someone decent auto fire accuracy, high damage, a fast round (when fired low) and a low aoe profile. This leads it to perform best when you let it aim at a unit over barrage. And quite frankly, its barrage ability sucks ass. It has a large area it can saturate, but with its very small aoe compared to other mortars it is almost worthless. It can't really force anything to retreat, aside from getting a lucky shot on clumped up units. It makes no sense to have this accurate/low explosive round turned into a barrage ability

I think its ability should instead be some sort of rapid fire. The crew goes into rush mode and loads X% faster for Y seconds. This would suite its current iteration much much better than its horrendous barrage ability. Its vet bonuses to increased barrage duration could instead go to increasing the firing rate percentage/duration

As well, the vet one ability is completely pointless. The ONLY thing it ever works on is light static armor, such as a random medic truck you spot. As well the fact it barrages instead of targets, with the fact it has to hit to do anything leads this ability to basically do nothing half the time you use it. The OKW have an issue right now of dealing with mass support units (mg/mortar/at guns) due to no sniper and poor indirect fire outside of the expensive (although amazing) stuka. I think its vet one should simply be a temporary swap to HE rounds that travel slower, cause no suppression, but have increased aoe on the explosion Hell maybe the timed charge from the american MHT (on auto fire though, not barrage). It would give the okw a better indirect fire option for static units and buildings without having to spend so much fuel.

Overall the gun itself is good but is held back by its hideous abilities/vet bonuses. I think what i said would work well, though almost anything else would be better than current.

Thoughts/suggestions? Good/bad?

Quick edit: Maybe for its vet 1, a concussive round. Low damage, medium aoe, stunned units it hit, including buildings. Have to use with aggressive infantry to get the kill instead of mindlessly aoe-ing from a safe distance
22 Jul 2015, 20:14 PM

It shouldn't have a barrage. Just increase it's autofire and make all the vet go towards making the autofire better. Right now it only gets better at what it's supposed to do when it's vet 5. Before that it's autofire is as good as it always will be.

Also replace the Vet 1 ability with incendiary rounds or shrapnel (very high AoE but low damage) rounds.
22 Jul 2015, 20:20 PM

It shouldn't have a barrage. Just increase it's autofire and make all the vet go towards making the autofire better. Right now it only gets better at what it's supposed to do when it's vet 5. Before that it's autofire is as good as it always will be.

Also replace the Vet 1 ability with incendiary rounds or shrapnel (very high AoE but low damage) rounds.

Barrage for what it does is honestly counter-intuitive. It makes the unit worse, not better.

Its vet one needs to give it better options vs buildings/static support units, but I hesitate towards flame. That's very common right now and I think a new option could be better
22 Jul 2015, 20:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jul 2015, 20:20 PMDraje

Barrage for what it does is honestly counter-intuitive. It makes the unit worse, not better.

Its vet one needs to give it better options vs buildings/static support units, but I hesitate towards flame. That's very common right now and I think a new option could be better

HE shells then? Here is the ISG's vet btw.

Unlocks the 'Hollow Charge' ability
+25% speed, -23% received accuracy
-40% barrage recharge, +33% barrage range
+100% shots fired per barrage
+30% penetration +50% damage
22 Jul 2015, 20:28 PM
Patrion 27

Corner-case, but last time I had a vet 5 ISG I targeted a T34/85 being revealed by my IR ht and one hollow-charge barrage took the 85 to about half health.
22 Jul 2015, 20:31 PM
Patrion 14

had double ISG kill kattie quiet quickly (i targetting the kattie after it fired).

i am sure hollow charge would've killed it even faster. so i think it is fine.
22 Jul 2015, 20:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jul 2015, 20:31 PMpigsoup
had double ISG kill kattie quiet quickly (i targetting the kattie after it fired).

i am sure hollow charge would've killed it even faster. so i think it is fine.

That katty operator was retarded, you never put your katyushas in range of enemy artillery, especially enemy field guns.

The ISG's barrage shouldn't stay mediocre just because it's amazing versus stupid people.
22 Jul 2015, 20:47 PM

All it needs is a smoke barrage on vet 1 instead of this useless armour piercing crap.
22 Jul 2015, 20:48 PM

Really, I think the hollow charge rounds should just be a toggled ability. Perhaps they could have increased velocity to aid in the secondary AT role it can assume. Smoke barrage instead of hollow charge rounds could also be an upgrade but honestly I think the hollow charge rounds are kind of novel and I'd like to see them implemented in a more effective way rather than being removed altogether.
22 Jul 2015, 20:57 PM
Donator 33

The le.IG vet bonuses are pretty bad. It gets decent vet bonuses at vet 5; almost all other vet bonuses are useless.

Its vet 1 ability is completely useless as well. No damage boost, no AoE boost, just more penetration.

"Hollow Charge" might be useful if wasn't a friggin barrage and dealt more damage.
22 Jul 2015, 21:05 PM

"Hollow Charge" might be useful if wasn't a friggin barrage and dealt more damage.

I sort of agree. While i would prefer better anti infantry/building (which okw lack outside stuka), the hollowed rounds would function much better if they could be auto fired instead of being a barrage

Overall the unit as designed needs to move away from barrage. It functions more as an assault gun, not a mortar, and its abilities/vet need to reflect that.
22 Jul 2015, 21:21 PM
Patrion 14

Its just stupid what the LEIGs vet bonuses are. vet2 = more survivability? really?
22 Jul 2015, 22:14 PM
Patrion 14

That katty operator was retarded, you never put your katyushas in range of enemy artillery, especially enemy field guns.

The ISG's barrage shouldn't stay mediocre just because it's amazing versus stupid people.

way to demean yourself.

if anything, make hollow charge a timed ability.
22 Jul 2015, 22:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jul 2015, 22:14 PMpigsoup

way to demean yourself.

if anything, make hollow charge a timed ability.

Demean myself? The only demeaning thing is claiming that a blatantly mediocre thing is fine because it works versus people who are bad at the game.

Hollow charge serves literally no point, it just increases pen and nothing else.
22 Jul 2015, 22:32 PM

The hollow charges could be good if they were toggled into its auto fire, but its current barrage makes it very sub par. As well its in the same building as the jagdpanzer, so it doesn't really need anti armor. It needs anti building.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★