Login

russian armor

Men of War 2 - CoH Competition, or Killer?

21 May 2023, 11:27 AM

Eugen makes "Wargame", European escalation, airland battle, red dragon, both steel divisions, and their new one coming up is WARNO. I've enjoyed red dragon for what it is, and I definitely wouldn't call it SC2 paced. There can be fast micro in particular with aircraft, but other than that it's just turning weapons on/off and it's around cohs level of micro.

all BS games
21 May 2023, 16:16 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

all BS games

Damn can't argue with that
26 Jun 2023, 19:37 PM

There's a MoW spinoff series called Call to Arms, and while that game is a bit of a F2P/P2W mess Ostfront, it's WW2 "DLC" that's also a form of spiritual successor to Assault Squad 2 is pretty good and really reminds me of the original CoH with it's dark and grim atmosphere and feeling.

We also made a mod called MACE for it which adds additional units for Germany and soon for the Soviets as well as the US as a new faction, which they are coincidentally also adding in another DLC expansion to the game so I can recommend it to everyone here to try it out.
27 Jun 2023, 19:59 PM

There's a MoW spinoff series called Call to Arms, and while that game is a bit of a F2P/P2W mess Ostfront, it's WW2 "DLC" that's also a form of spiritual successor to Assault Squad 2 is pretty good and really reminds me of the original CoH with it's dark and grim atmosphere and feeling.

We also made a mod called MACE for it which adds additional units for Germany and soon for the Soviets as well as the US as a new faction, which they are coincidentally also adding in another DLC expansion to the game so I can recommend it to everyone here to try it out.

Coh1 never had a "grim" and "dark" feeling.

COh2 had it. Especially at launch. When everthing died to to everything in mere seconds. One mortar round? Kills half a squad. Blizzard. Kills the last guy on retreat. Vision? Zero. Katyscha and Pwerfer BArrage. Army gone.

That was dark.
28 Jun 2023, 12:59 PM

COh2 had it. Especially at launch. When everthing died to to everything in mere seconds. One mortar round? Kills half a squad. Blizzard. Kills the last guy on retreat. Vision? Zero. Katyscha and Pwerfer BArrage. Army gone.

That was dark.

No, this was -

Refer to 29:25 time mark as one example, there's also a few more during that video alone if we're to not mention the rest of the cutscenes.

The game's story telling, cinematics and graphics themselves were realistic, dark and gritty and neither CoH2 nor CoH3's cartoony by comparison visuals have anything on them. Both games are more colorful and full of sunshine, they cannot replicate the artificial dread that went through your bones the first time you played the original game.
28 Jun 2023, 18:07 PM

That was dark.

Skip to 0:29 for intro

CoH 2 maine menu had a great atmosphere apparently, before I started playing it.
14 May 2024, 03:15 AM

Let's see, shall we?
16 May 2024, 23:40 PM

Don't buy this game unless you want to gain a newfound appreciation for CoH 3. Somehow in the year between the playtest and now they actually made it worse. Not by a lot, but it's absolutely incredible to me that it comes out worse than it was in the playtest. How is that possible?

Don't get me wrong, it's got potential, but it's absolutely not worth buying by any stretch of the imagination.

Man... I was excited for this game.
Yesterday, 12:54 PM

Don't buy this game unless you want to gain a newfound appreciation for CoH 3. Somehow in the year between the playtest and now they actually made it worse. Not by a lot, but it's absolutely incredible to me that it comes out worse than it was in the playtest. How is that possible?

Don't get me wrong, it's got potential, but it's absolutely not worth buying by any stretch of the imagination.

Man... I was excited for this game.

Care or nerves to elaborate?
I've played some of the MoW2 single player content right before the last playtest stopped.

Having played previous iterations it, generally speaking, seemed like a somewhat modern take on MoWAS2. Nothing too groundbreaking.
Yesterday, 15:22 PM

So is the conclusion of all this MoW 2 furor that basically COH3 has become the premier WWII RTS game? I'm not saying that's a high bar with the games industry in general these days.
Yesterday, 16:36 PM

Care or nerves to elaborate?
I've played some of the MoW2 single player content right before the last playtest stopped.

Having played previous iterations it, generally speaking, seemed like a somewhat modern take on MoWAS2. Nothing too groundbreaking.

They did not improve the game at all from the playtest. In fact, they broke the encyclopedia system, so you can't see information about your troops while you're equipping them to your army.

The voicelines were all default Gem engine stuff in the playtest, but they added a slew of voicelines that are absolutely atrocious and immersion-breaking to the point where I just can't play Americans, it's so bad. I'm told it's the same for German and Russian voicelines too (according to Katitof).

I still love the Battalions system, and it's still the only game in the Men of War series that I actually enjoy playing PvP in. However, I said that I couldn't recommend the game as it was then in the playtest (after the CoH 3 launch disaster), and seeing as the game has actually become worse than it was in the playtest, I most certainly can't recommend it now.

So is the conclusion of all this MoW 2 furor that basically COH3 has become the premier WWII RTS game? I'm not saying that's a high bar with the games industry in general these days.

CoH 3 is the best arcade-style WW2 RTS put on the market this decade, absolutely.
Yesterday, 18:32 PM

CoH 3 is the best arcade-style WW2 RTS put on the market this decade, absolutely.

This is why Coh3s bad release is so tragic. There is nothing like Coh. It is the best RTS if you like that frantic but intelligent play style.

I looked at a stream of MoW2 for a sec and noticed the GFX are worse than Coh3. Almost no specular lighting anywhere.

Coh2 and Coh3 both also have some extra shading that occurs post render that really adds depth to objects. MoW2 does not appear to do that.

While the overall quality is worse than Coh, it adds some cool lighting effects. Which goes to what Vermillion was saying in another thread, it doesn't have to be perfect if it all works together and feels cohesive.

I like the TEAM overlay they did. I did not see individual units kill counts, but you dont have squads, so it probably is not as exciting anyway.

Overall, it looked fun, but not in the same style of Coh play. Its close. Nothing beats Coh. Never will, unless I get bored and write something up.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★